As I’ve written about before, even when there’s not much creativity involved, the laser platform allows for all sorts of functional usefulness. In this case, local friend Brenn once again provides a fun project: replacing a lost wire shelf in his mini fridge.
We measured the space and cut a prototype out of cardboard. It’s a good thing we did; we overlooked a small gap of extra space on the left side where a key on the shelf would slot in, so the second cardboard prototype (pictured) had the key built into the side.
The cardboard also helped Brenn and I realize that the initial material we’d chosen wouldn’t be thick enough for the space. Thankfully, I do keep some 1/4″ thick acrylic around, but unfortunately the only color I had on hand was black.
Still, with the shape measured twice and cut thrice, the final black shelf fit in just fine! We discussed cutting out a “grill” of holes in the center of the acrylic to make it look a little more at home, but the extra time spent cutting that entirely decorative element would have increased the price too much for such a simple project.
Brenn hasn’t had the fridge set back up long enough for us to know whether the frigid temperature is going to be an issue with the acrylic, but I don’t foresee any issues!
It’s the big 2-0! Jennifer worked on some leather a while back, but when our dear friend Brenn needed an elegant way to attach one of his new key fob to some spare keys, I volunteered to try my own hand at some fairly riveting work.
It didn’t take long to determine the leather to use based on the size of the opening available. I didn’t spend much time doing preliminary measurements, so you can see from the iterations that both length and rivet hole placement changed often. While I wasn’t ready to rivet with the first three pieces, I had better luck with hole placement on the fourth. Unfortunately, I discovered that you can hammer a rivet too hard and it got crushed at an unpleasant angle. Thankfully, the final strap had better luck with the hammer..
I was determined to etch “Brenn’s Spare” on the leather, but the etched surface was hard to see. Thankfully, when I cleaned and conditioned the leather (mostly to get rid of smelly laser scorched edges) some of the rub brightened up the letters significantly. I hope they retain some of that brightness over time.
The trickiest part of this project was entirely due to my disinterest in doing some measurements beforehand. I just grabbed a piece of leather, decided on four inches to start, and went nuts. I was thrilled to discover that I had enough space to fit some nicely laid text on instead of trying to squeeze it in. I was also lucky that it only took five tiny bits of leather to get it right. Now finished, I’m left wondering if Brenn’s main set of keys can feel envy. Perhaps they should be given the custom treatment, too!