86: 3D Letters

Looks nice and solid for paper, eh?
Looks nice and solid for paper, eh?

So, apparently I’ve got weddings in the brain.  For a friend, of course, I got that done over a decade ago myself.  Bridesmaid dress is purchased, invitations are nearly done, we will scouting wedding venues this weekend!  For this week’s project, my mind turned to table decorations.

Making 3D letters has been on my list every since I saw the “8 bit” 3D word project in the book MiniEco by Kate Lilley.  There was not a lot of instruction in the book, and the only letters available were an 8, B, I, and T.  So, off to the internet!  I found three different free printable 3D letter sets (if you want to try this yourself!)

Mr. Printable’s 3D Alphabet

Punched out Font by Shasta – Extra cool because every letter is made of a singe piece of paper!

Alphabet by Digitprop – Seriously cute 3D letters in animal shapes!

Terrible colors in the photo, but the dark lines are a full cut, lighter ones are the scoring
Terrible colors in the photo, but the dark lines are a full cut, lighter ones are the scoring
Folding along the score lines revealed the card stock underneath.
Folding along the score lines revealed the card stock underneath.

Mr. Printable’s were my favorite, so we created a laser friendly version of the letter M, the new family’s last name.  The bride loves bright colors, and I had this fabulous peachy orange mulberry paper with gold designs.  I used spray glue and mounted it to 100 pound card stock, making it nice and sturdy.

The laser makes cutting outlines a piece of cake, but the best part is that the laser can score fold lines too.  It’s a light partial cut that lets you make all folds sharply and in the right place – it’s amazing.  Folding took zero thought!  (We also used this technique for Week 33: Google Cardboard as well.  For tips on paper cutting, check out Week 66: Tips for Laser Cutting Paper)

One side folded up!  I found it was easier to glue in the walls for the "v" of the m and inside legs before folding up the sides
One side folded up! I found it was easier to glue in the walls for the “v” of the m and inside legs before folding up the sides
Partially folded, this is what it looks like on the inside.
Partially folded, this is what it looks like on the inside.  I glued it so the tabs were inside.

It was a fun little project, and they were surprisingly sturdy when finished.  I can’t imagine making tons of them, but they would be super cute on a reception table.  Unless, of course, the bride asks.  I’m a sucker for helping and crafts!

Sides folded, just waiting for the back cover.
Sides folded, just waiting for the back cover.

52 REPLIES